Many GP administrators and partners have been experiencing issues after applying the Year End updates. These issues may range from corrupted reports dictionaries, apparent posting errors, and system crashes.
My 2 cents on the issue and how to prevent them from happenning: since these Year End updates are inclusive of service pack 4 and Service Pack 3 for Dynamics GP 9.0 and Dynamics GP 10.0, respectively, you must follow all procedures outlined for a service pack installation, especially as it concerns modified reports and modified forms for Dynamics GP and third party products:
1) MAKE SURE TO EXPORT ALL CUSTOMIZATIONS (Forms, Reports, VBA Customizations, References) TO A PACKAGE FILE (.Package), UNDER TOOLS > CUSTOMIZE > CUSTOMIZATION MAINTENANCE IN GP 9.0 AND MICROSOFT DYNAMICS GP > TOOLS > CUSTOMIZE > CUSTOMIZATION MAINTENANCE IN GP 10.0.
2) REMOVE ALL EXISTING MODIFIED REPORTS DICTIONARIES AND MODIFIED FORMS DICTIONARIES FROM THEIR CURRENT LOCATION. TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, MOVE THESE DICTIONARIES TO ANOTHER LOCATION ON OR OFF YOUR SERVER.
3) BACKUP DYNAMICS AND ALL COMPANY DATABASES PRIORT TO APPLYING THE YEAR END UPDATE PATCH. STORE THESE BACKUPS IN A QUICKLY ACCESSIBLE LOCATION.
4) APPLY THE YEAR END UPDATE PATCHES FOLLOWING ALL INSTRUCTIONS OUTLINED BY THE INSTALLATION NOTES AND RUN DYNAMICS UTILITIES TO PERFORM ANY UPDATE AND VERIFY ALL DATABASES.
5) REIMPORT ALL YOUR CUSTOMIZATIONS FROM THE PACKAGE FILE EXPORTED IN STEP 1.
Until next post!
Mariano Gomez, MVP
Maximum Global Business, LLC